29 July 2012

A story:
I had an epiphany yesterday.

I was hiking on the Appalachian Trail, took a side trail, got lost, re-discovered the AT, hiked 13 miles in the wrong direction, backtracked, and ended up walking 30 miles. Yes-you heard that right.

Thir-ty miles.
So yes, I’m tired…and thirsty.
Oh, did I mention I also ran a 5km road race at 7:30 A.M. the same day? Finished 10th out of about 200 people.
I finally made it back to my Mazda just as the most glorious sunset occurred. There were actually people pulled off the road taking photos of it.
Ten hours is a long time to spend in the woods. I had a  dream furry woodland creatures were inviting me to live with them. A rather large grey squirrel…his name was Mr. Poggins…was extolling the virtues of baked acorns and invited me for dinner. I respectfully declined his offer…that, and I couldn’t fit in his treehouse.

No comments: