09 March 2006

Coffee

I need to eat more vegetables and cut down on my coffee consumption.

According to NewScientist magazine, it takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce a single pound of coffee beans. I was absolutely shocked to the very core of my being. Had no idea. Now if these results are valid, then face it. It's only a matter of time before all the freshwater on the planet is GONE. All for coffee.

I never drank coffee until I graduated college. Long story there, but a gas station attendant hoodwinked me into purchasing a large cappuccino for a quarter. I spurned my conscious and yielded to better judgment. Told myself it merely was (or is it "was merely"...) a sugary vegetable juice.

Coffee beans--->vegetables
Sugar--->from sugar cane...another vegetable...right?

I was hooked. Still am. But have been slowly weaning myself away from the dark mysterious brew, and have moved on to boiled leaves, tea leaves that is. Columbia tea, Black tea. Maybe I should eat more chocolate...they say it's from beans as well.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Jason,

Thanks for checking out my blog.
I don't drink caffeine period.

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

That's just...just...un-American...and so un-Columbian too